Will I have to go to Court for my speeding ticket?

No. In most cases we resolve speeding tickets and other traffic charges without you having to go to Court. There are a few courts where you will have to attend, but that is very rare.

Do I need a lawyer for a speeding ticket?

You don't need a lawyer, but in many courts we will get you a better result than you will get for yourself.

How do I deal with the insurance company when I've been injured in a motor vehicle accident?

One of the first things you will be dealing with after sustaining an injury in a motor vehicle accident is the Insurance Company. The insurance company is looking out for its bottom line, not yours. The insurance company is not your friend and is not looking out for your best interest. The Insurance Company will go to great lengths to mitigate and minimize its liability. Never negotiate with an insurance company. Let your lawyer do that for you.

It is imperative that you know your rights. The clock starts to run on your claim the moment after your accident occurs. These are the steps that you must take to preserve your rights.

You must immediately report to police all motor accidents that result in personal injury or be in violation of state vehicle and traffic law that could result in either a misdemeanor conviction or, depending on the degree of serious physical injury, a felony.

You must commence a personal injury lawsuit based on the negligence of the other driver within three years of the date of the accident or be forever barred from doing so.

You must report as soon as reasonably possible all accidents to your auto liability insurance carrier or run the risk of having them disclaim coverage and benefits for your failure to timely notify it of the happening of the event; it is part of your contract with your insurance company, the policy.

You must fully complete and promptly return a no-fault claim form to your insurer within 30 days of any accident involving bodily injury or have your personal injury protection/no-fault benefits including lost income payments denied.

You must put your insurer on written notice of any potential SUM/UM (Supplementary Underinsured Motorist/ Uninsured Motorist) claim so that if the party that hit you either has no insurance or not enough insurance to pay the reasonable value of your claims you can fall rely on your own policy coverage.

You must complete and promptly submit an MV-104 form within 10 days of the date of the accident to the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles.

You must correctly communicate to all of your health care providers beginning with the ambulance service the name, address, and telephone number of your no-fault insurance carrier along with the claim number assigned to you so that your doctors, therapists, and imaging centers can get paid. This will ensure that they get paid and that there are no lapses in your medical care.

You should, summon the police to the scene to complete a formal accident report even if it is not otherwise required, for instance when property damage is less than $1,000.00.

You should take photos at the scene and obtain the names and contact information from any witnesses discovered.

You should, if permitted, speak with the investigating officers at the scene to inform them of your version of what occurred.

You should, even if you have suffered what appear to be only minor injuries, immediately seek medical attention by requesting transportation by ambulance to the closest hospital. Insurance adjusters take great pleasure in pointing out whenever a claimant “refused ambulance at scene”. Their opinion is always that you could not possibly be injured if you chose not to get immediate medical care when it was offered.

Which Courts does Levy & Obstarczyk PLLC serve?

We serve the entire state of NY. However, here is a list of Courts we routinely serve in the Capital District:

Albany County:

Altamont Village Court
Berne Town Court
Bethlehem Town Court
Coeymans Town Court
Colonie Town Court
Green Island Town Court
Guilderland Town Court
Knox Town Court
Menands Village Court
New Scotland Town Court
Ravena Village Court
Rensselaerville Town Court
Voorheesville Village Court
Westerlo Town Court

Rensselaer County:

Berlin Town Court
Brunswick Town Court
Castleton-On-Hudson Village Court
East Greenbush Town Court
Grafton Town Court
Hoosick Falls Village Court
Hoosick Town Court
Nassau Town Court
Nassau Village Court
North Greenbush Town Court
Petersburg Town Court
Pittstown Town Court
Poestenkill Town Court
Sand Lake Town Court
Schaghticoke Town Court
Schodack Town Court
Stephentown Town Court

Saratoga County:

Ballston Spa Village Court
Ballston Town Court
Charlton Town Court
Clifton Park Town Court
Corinth Town Court
Day Town Court
Edinburg Town Court
Galway Town Court
Galway Village Court
Greenfield Town Court
Hadley Town Court
Halfmoon Town Court
Malta Town Court
Milton Town Court
Moreau Town Court
Northumberland Town Court
Providence Town Court
Saratoga Town Court
Stillwater Town Court
Waterford Town Court
Wilton Town Court

Schenectady County:

Duanesburg Town Court
Glenville Town Court
Niskayuna Town Court
Princetown Town Court
Rotterdam Town Court
Scotia Village Court

Consult our Resources Section For Full Court Information